History


The first Spring Flower Show was organised by the Bere Ferrers Recreation Club in 1948. It was held on Wednesday March 31st in the School Hall, Bere Ferrers. It was opened at 2.15 by the Countess of Mount Edgecumbe, the wife of the President and Patron, the Right Hon. The Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The Show committee was chaired by Mr C Pratt. One of the committee was Mr Norman Grills who is still a committee member today!

It was quite a different Show from today, reflecting the widespread commercial growing of flowers and vegetables in the area. The Show was in two sections, with Section A being for Commercial growers only (and other exhibitors cultivating over 1/2acre of ground) and Section B for Cottagers and Exhibitors cultivating under 1/2 acre of ground. There were a number of Displays, including one entitled "Example of the Application of the Narcissus to Floral Art" prepared by Mr Jack Pedlar, a resident of Bere Ferrers. 

Much later, with the run down of local commercial daffodil cultivation, the distinction between Commercial and Amateur was removed. The Show has also expanded to include Domestic, Floral Art, and Photography sections.

Over the years, the Show has been presented with many Perpetual Trophies which are listed with their origins HERE

The front page of the 1948 Schedule is shown above, with the full schedule HERE. The Commercial links are evident from the number of adverts from Fruit and Flower Wholesalers in Covent Garden. By the third Schedule there were additional commercial advertisers from Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

The Show has continued each year to the present (with only 2001 being missed due to the Foot and Mouth outbreak in the area). 2013 will be the 65th Show.